BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, 14 April 2012

Reducing the store cupboard stash.

Hello! I hope you're having a lovely saturday and that you have embraced the free listing weekend on Ebay to clear out some of the clutter and make some cash! Pretty soon i'll be taking some pictures and writing up my listings.

Today it occurred to me that I have 4 months and 2 weeks left on my tenancy before I move down to Cambridge to study for my teaching qualification. It also occurred to me that I have tonnes of tins of food that need using up. Now, baked beans, tinned tomatos, red kidney beans and tinned vegetables are easy to use up and are the base of pretty much every meal I cook. However, I found that I have about a gazillion (slight exaggeration perhaps) tins of cream of tomato soup which is really unfortunate because I can not stand the blasted stuff. I'm not sure how I have cream of tomato soup because I know I would not have spent my hard earned stirling on it, so I can only assume my future mother in law purchased it.

In a desperate bid to make a dent into the tins of soup I made a tuna pasta bake. Here is an approximate recipe, but please remember I never weigh anything out.

Tuna Pasta Bake
Ingredients:
1 large pan of pasta
1tin of cream of tomato soup
1 tin of peeled/peeled chopped tomatoes
2 tins of tuna
Sage
chilli powder/flakes (to taste)
garlic (to taste)
2 small onions chopped and lightly fried
Any left over vegetables you can find (I used spinach, peppers and sweetcorn)

Method:

  1. Put the pan of pasta on to boil.
  2. Lightly fry the onions, garlic and chilli
  3. Add the tinned tomatoes to the fried onions and mash up if required.
  4. Add the sage
  5. Add the chopped vegetables. 
  6. Add the tomato soup
  7. Add the tuna
  8. Allow the mixture to simmer for 5-10 minutes.
  9. When the pasta is cooked drain it well and put it into a crockery oven dish. 
  10. Pour over the tomato mixture and stir well into the pasta. 
  11. Put some tin foil over the tuna pasta bake and pop in the oven (gas mark 4) for 30 mins. This should give the pasta time to absorb the tomato juice. 
  12. Serve with cheese if required. 

I really like this recipe because it is so simple to make- everything can be chopped and prepared in the 10 minutes it takes to boil the pasta. It can also be left to stand and served later on in the day. My crockery oven dish holds about 6 portions so I put the leftovers in tupperware tubs, freeze, and serve another day as a home made ready meal.

N.B.- I would have posted a picture of this dish but my boyfriend couldn't wait before starting to eat it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment